What Moms Need For Mother's Day
I love a good excuse to tell someone the things that I need or want in life. Like, I need chocolate really bad right now. But I want to be skinnier. But if we're being honest here, I'd likely ignore my want and go straight to my need and grab me some dang chocolate.
So what do moms NEED for Mother's Day? There's many things probably. There's also probably many things that they want too. But let's just stick with the needs...
- A full 10 hours of sleep. Yes, I know the recommendations are for only eight hours but considering how little we have slept since becoming mothers, let's just settle for ten hours, mmmkay?
- A pat on the back. Seriously. Appreciation is a beautiful thing and I don't necessarily mean from our kids when we wipe their butts and they say "thank you." I mean from the husbands, the baby daddy, the boyfriends, the partners, etc... We need to hear that we are actually succeeding at this motherhood thing because chances are we have our doubts. Hearing it from you is just a beautiful thing.
- Alcohol. I'm just being real here. Let me enjoy some wine or vodka, or something. It's been a rough few years at times. #seepointone
- A long hot bath, in the middle of the day while you watch the little ones. I'm not sure if it's just me, but there is something super magical about taking a bath while the kids are running around and I'm not the one watching them. Kinda like "tag you're it, I'm off to the spa." I find this to be even more enjoyable with sunlight streaming through the windows, a good book and maybe some alcohol. #seepointthree
- A foot massage. Because um, the expression "running around after your kids" is accurate.
- Personal care items. There's a good chance that while at the store and making sure our kids got new socks, toothbrushes and stuff like that, that we forgot to stock up on our things. New mascara, new socks, some of the soap we love and the body scrub that may cost a bit but smells divine. We will probably need tampons too soon, so just throw that in there so we're not sending you out at 8pm to grab some at the corner mart. But if we're being honest here, I may not speak to you for a few days if you just get me tampons for Mother's Day.
- Chocolate. This is obvious. We live daily thinking about our figures, our appearance and the postpartum baby weight that we're still holding onto. Even when we snack with the kids, we are probably having a mental war with ourselves over this. So how about today give us all the cookies, cakes and chocolates and it's ALLLL calorie free. #goals
- Lavender and all the calming oils. Yes, have you met our children? They are cute as can be but dayummmm they can be a little cray cray. I need bottles of all the calming oils and emotional support. #zenplease
- Pajamas. Because every few months our children out grow their pajamas and they need new ones. Yet here we are wearing the same pjs we've had since college. Time for some self care. And I don't need all of the nipple tassels and G strings. Like, just give me the soft stuff that I can wear all day too. Hit up the Pink section at Victoria's Secret if you really want to get on our good side. #fancyjammies
- A chef. Okay, or takeout. Point is -- I don't want to touch a dish on Mother's Day other than the ones that come into my bed at 10 am with bacon, eggs and mimosas. #dreaming
- A robot vacuum or mop. If you gave us a standard broom for Mother's Day, there's a good chance we'd smack you with it. But if you give us a robotic broom that does the work for us, it'll be like the best thing ever. #rosietheroomba
- Something homemade. As cliche as it really is, these things truly warm our hearts. Whether you make something, write us a long card or have the kids make us something, we'll love it. Lawd knows that getting our kids to paint their hands and make pictures on paper can be a messy, stressful job...so kudos to you for trying!
- A good book or devotional. Because this is just thoughtful and mamas need Jesus all day, errryyyyday.
Okay, so maybe that was a bit demanding; but we can all dream right?
There are a few other things I need. I need my children to come and snuggle me and tell me they love me. I need time together with those that I love so I can relish in what this day is actually about and I need hugs and kisses because there's never enough of those.
I also need a moment to myself just to thank the good Lord for all he's blessed me with, especially on this day. A moment to say thanks for making me a mother and a moment to pray for all of those hoping to one celebrate this day too. Because he's blessed me big time and no matter how little sleep I've had since becoming a mother, it's totally worth it day in and day out.
So here's to all of my mamas out there. Whether you want a fun filled family day or a day relaxing and recovering from the trenches of motherhood, I hope you enjoy your day. I hope you also remember just how amazing you are, even when you feel you're at your weakest. I hope you remember to find grace in the hard days and to cut yourself some slack.
You're doing a wonderful job. And I hope you feel wonderful each and every day, but especially on Mother's Day.
Happy Mother's Day to all of our readers!
P.S. It is totally acceptable to tag and share this post with your boo. Nothing wrong with dropping some hints. #ilikediamondstoo #justsayingbae